This is Alisa. She is 18 years old, and a senior at Colby High School.
2. In July of 2012, doctors found a Stage 4 tumor in Alisa’s brain.
3. After a prognosis in early 2014, Alisa was placed on hospice care. As her illness worsened, Alisa made a 48-item bucket list.
1. Kiss Channing Tatum.
2. Indoor sky diving.
3. Throw a big party.
4. Go on a disney cruise.
5. Swim with dolphins.
6. Go to Europe.
7. Go to Vegas.
8. Go scuba diving in the Great Barrier Reef.
9. Hot air balloon ride.
10. Learn to shoot a gun.
11. Ride a mechanical bull.
12. Ride an elephant.
13. Try every cheesecake at the cheesecake factory.
14. Go on a taxi ride and say “follow that car.”
15. Release a bunch of lanterns into the sky.
16. Get chocolate wasted.
17. Give people a reason to remember me.
18. Say yes to everything for a whole day.
19. Pie war.
20. Drive all day blasting music.
21. Travel to every state.
22. Go to New York and go sight seeing.
23. Go to Alaska.
24. Kiss under the Eiffel Tower.
25. Walk on the Great Wall of China.
26. Live a happy life.
27. No Facebook for 2 weeks.
28. Pay in pennies.
29. Go zip lining.
30. Go to Times Square for New Year’s.
31. Water sliding from dusk ‘til dawn.
32. Bake a rainbow cake.
33. Hold a baby lion.
34. Drink from a coconut.
35. Go through a drive thru on a horse.
36. Bake in the middle of the night with someone you love.
37. Go to the drive-in movies.
38. Have a glow stick fight.
39. Have a guy sing to me.
40. Propose to a stranger.
41. Tie messages in balloons and release them.
42. Kiss underwater.
43. Ride a dolphin.
44. Play messy Twister.
45. Have a paint fight.
46. Jump in a pool fully clothed.
47. Make an adventure book.
48. Go mudding.
4. Close friends of Alisa’s family posted her bucket list in a private Facebook group called Western Kansas Online Marketplace.
5. Together, they created the Facebook page “Alisa’s Butterflies.”
6. Well wishes and thoughts began to roll in quickly after the creation of the page, starting with members of the Colby community and rapidly expanding much farther.
9. Her town rallied around her, pulling out all the stops to make her dreams come true.
10. And with help from her community, Alisa started checking items off her list. Here she is having a pie war outside Colby High School:
11. And here she is paying for something entirely in pennies:
12. She tried every cheesecake at the Cheesecake Factory:
13. And as per Bucket List item #39, she was sung to by a guy. She then turned around and proposed to him, thereby checking off another item from the list.
14. She managed to take a 2 week hiatus from Facebook.
15. And although Alisa has yet to achieve #1 (“Kiss Channing Tatum”), this video message he sent her from backstage at the Oscars comes pretty close: